Thursday, November 5, 2009

VICTORIA AND ALBERT

I could have spent months exploring the Victoria and Albert Museum.  Sadly I was limited to one afternoon, so I concentrated on the section of British decorative arts 1500-1900.  Fantastic.  To protect many of the works, the museum keeps lighting exceptionally low.  This makes for difficult photography (flash would damage delicate fabrics and paints) but it did mean a really moody time walking through the galleries.  I loved it.

An unusually simple Chinoiserie style British Georgian period chair.

A settee from the Stuart period is extremely rare for its well preserved upholstery and trim.  Upholsterers were the interior designers of the 18th century, and were often responsible for the decor of entire rooms or suites of rooms in estates of the well-to-do.

The Great Bed of Ware, circa 1590.  Famous for its massive size... it was a 16th and 17th century tourist attraction at an inn in Ware, England and is said to hold up to 12 couples.  I didn't ask further.

At some point, Ted felt the need to carve his name in this fine example of Tudor design.  Rude.

My favorite piece was this Victorian period vanity.  Not much to say... it was just exquisite.


1 comment:

  1. this is one of my mom's favorite museums in the world I think. Thank you so much for covering it. Ted is RUDE! I also LOVE the vanity.

    ReplyDelete