Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A WORD ABOUT CAMERAS

One of the first gifts my man ever gave me was a little Chinese-designed plastic camera called a Holga. The Holga was first made as an inexpensive point and shoot that allowed the growing middle class in China to snap family portraits and the like. Soon, however, the flaws of the cheaply made Holga, such as light leaks and double exposure, were yielding some interesting, surreal results, and the camera became widely used in the west.


I used the camera on one trip, and the pictures were really cool. Stupidly, I put the camera up on the shelf and forgot about it. What a mistake.

Luckily my friend Jesse Yarbrough has still been using his Holga all this time, and the results are supreme. He has inspired me to dig the Holga out again and put it to good use. Here are some of his incredible shots:

Thanks Jesse!

In other camera news, look for much better images here on HFH, as I have just upgraded to the highly recommended Canon G10. I can't wait to sit down with it for a day and master it's power!

Holga image from The Powder Room

No comments:

Post a Comment